With the blistering heat lately, I thought it would be a good time to talk about heat as it relates to computers. Unfortunately, if a computer is overheating it doesn’t start sweating or turn bright red like we do. This makes identifying an overheating computer a little trickier. Here’s a few symptoms to look for.
– Loud Fans. If your computer sounds like a jumbo jet about to take off, something isn’t right. Dirt (especially in West Texas) can accumulate inside the machine making them need to work harder to keep up.
– Randomly shutting down. A lot of things can cause a computer to randomly turn off, but overheating is one of the possible causes. Computers know what temperature they are at, and if it gets to unsafe levels, it will turn itself off to prevent damage to the hardware.
– Heat! If it’s extremely hot to the touch or is blowing out very hot air, it is a good sign that it’s operating at a higher than normal temperature.
How it Works:
On average, a modern processor inside a computer can run around 100 Degrees Fahrenheit. A Heat Sink is attached to the processor with a compound called Thermal Paste that helps conduct heat between the two. The Heat Sink is then attached to a fan that blows the hot air out of the machine. In a laptop, there is normally only 1 fan carrying all of this heat out. In a desktop, multiple fans are used to direct cool air in, through the Heat Sink, and blow the hot air out of the machine.
If your computer is experiencing any of these symptoms, we can help! We can clean dust out of the fans and heat sink, reapply Thermal Paste, replace Heat Sinks and Fans, and a Tune Up can often help the machine run cooler by not putting the processor under so much stress for simple tasks.
Give us a call or come by if you have any questions!
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
– Winner will receive TWO tickets to the 11:20PM 3D showing of Star Wars the Force Awakens at the Alamo Drafthouse Lubbock.
– One Winner will be chosen at random. That one winner will get both tickets.
– Tickets must be picked up at SuperGeeks Lubbock. 5920 66th, Suite 5, Lubbock TX 79424.
– Giveaway begins on 11/11/15 and ends on 12/10/15. A winner will be chosen and announced on 12/11/15. We will attempt to contact the winner through facebook message, and will then announce the winner afterwards.
– SuperGeeks Lubbock is the sole entity involved in this giveway. Facebook, Star Wars, Disney, Alamo Drafthouse are not involved in any way.
– To be eligible to win, you must like A) Like SuperGeeks Lubbock facebook page AND subsribe to SuperGeeks Lubbock’s email newsletter. If you just do one and not the other, you will not be eligible! Eligibility will be determined by matching names of email subsribers to names of new facebook page likes. If you use two different names, SuperGeeks Lubbock is not responsible for you not being eligible.
– One entry per person!
– Star Wars!
– Good Luck!
You don’t need an IT Department for that, you just need our 24/7 Maintenance Plan. We install, monitor and maintain virus protection (unlimited virus removal included), software updates (java, adobe, etc.), protect you from links that contain viruses or scams, check the health of your hard drive and much, much more. We check the status of your computer EVERY DAY. It’s like carrying a SuperGeek in your back pocket.
This is all accomplished remotely, so there is no interruption to your busy schedule. And with our flat rate pricing, you can easily budget for your IT needs and deal with less surprise repair costs.