An unprecedented piece of malware called “WannaCry” started spreading through Europe late last week. So far it has spread to over 57,000 computers. Here is everything you need to know.
What is it?
WannaCry is ransomware that will encrypt the contents of your computer and will hold your data ransom. The victim pays a ransom of anywhere between $300 and $600 in bitcoins, per machine. WannaCry also has the ability to spread to all machines on the same network as the infected computer.
How do I protect myself?
Installing all available security updates is an important first step. Windows Updates and Antivirus Software Updates are vital. This is particularly true of users on XP, Vista, Windows 8 or Server 2003. These Operating Systems are no longer supported, but Microsoft has released emergency updates to counter this malware.
A current, off-site, backup of your files is the best defense, as there is no “fix” for WannaCry at this time.
Be careful what links you click on, what emails you open and what attachments you download. This isn’t the first malware of this type, and it won’t be the last. Keeping your computer updated and being cautious about what you click on is the best way to prevent any such infection.
If you need help ensuring your computer is up to date, give us a call. We can help you with this remotely. Our 24/7 Maintenance Plan Customers will have the updates pushed through automatically.
Let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
We are remodeling the shop! We will be open through most, if not all, of the remodel, and will announce any closures on social media so be sure to follow us on facebook and instagram for updates!
We have been running out of space in the work area for a while now. This is a fantastic problem to have and we thank you for helping us get there! Once the remodel is complete we will have a great new work area that will allow us to work on more machines at once and cut down on our diagnostic and repair times! Check out pictures of the progress so far below.
During the remodel we will be running several special offers. Up first is half off the first hour of all on-site service calls! We will be running this offer until the 12th of this month. Give us a call to get an appointment scheduled before we book up!
Here we go again!
Windows Vista, one of Microsoft’s least adopted Operating Systems, is losing official support as of tomorrow (4/11/17). Here is everything you need to know.
Leaving your computer on all the time presents the following issues;
– “End of Support” means that Microsoft will no longer be offering updates or support to the Operating System. Vista machines will not be updated to protect against any new threats, glitches or bugs discovered in the operating system after April 11th. Vista machines will still function, they will just become unsafe and unstable over time.
– Support from other software will eventually stop also. Chrome, AVG, etc. will also eventually stop receiving updates on Vista machines. These computers will become more and more unusable as this occurs.
Have a Computer with Vista on it? Here’s what you can do.
– Buy a new computer. We can help transfer all of your files to the new machine or even build you a new Desktop with Windows 7 or Windows 10 on it.
– Upgrade your Vista machine to Windows 7. Windows 7 will be supported through 2020, so it still has some life left in it! We can help you with the upgrade process.
– Keep using the machine. While we don’t recommend this, as it will be more and more unsafe as time goes by, it is an option.
We don’t recommend putting Windows 10 on Vista machines, as it generally doesn’t run well on Vista aged hardware.
If you have a Vista machine and have any questions, give us a call or come by! 806 722 0770